Job Title: Physiotherapist
Reporting to: Director, Marketing & Business Development and Co-Artistic Director
Type of Position: Full-Time (Employee or Independent Contractor)
Alberta Ballet is comprised of two business divisions – Alberta Ballet Company, one of Canada’s premier professional dance companies, and Alberta Ballet School, one of Canada’s leading professional dance schools.
The position of Physiotherapist will serve the primary purpose of providing reliable and top-quality physiotherapy care for students and professional dancers with Alberta Ballet. The Physiotherapist will play a fundamental role in establishing and supporting Alberta Ballet in becoming an approved facility to provide physiotherapy services to its dancers and students. Approximately the first eight weeks of employment will be dedicated solely to creating the work environment to support future physiotherapy services.
- Along with Alberta Ballet, develop and execute the necessary administrative requirements to establish Alberta Ballet as an approved practice setting.
- Develop administrative processes and procedures for approval by Physiotherapy Alberta College and Association.
- Acquisition and maintenance of equipment, tools, and software needed to successfully provide treatment.
- Carry the appointment of “most responsible physiotherapist” for Alberta Ballet by providing oversight, ensuring that Physiotherapy Alberta - College + Association’s standards of practice, code of ethics, and other professional obligations are met.
- Assess and diagnose musculoskeletal problems via self-referrals from students, dancers and other members of the Artistic Faculty.
- Treat musculoskeletal conditions with the best available evidence-based practice and provide sound advice to each dancer under their care.
- Maintain open communication with colleagues. Provide the Artistic Director and Heads of Schools regular updates as appropriate.
- Coordinate volunteer practitioners during performance runs in Calgary and Edmonton.
- Manage dancers from assessment to the completion of rehabilitation through long-term program planning.
- Refer appropriately to the wider clinical network including, but not limited to, general medicine, orthopaedics, medical imaging, dietetics, clinical psychology, strength, and conditioning.
- Complete clinical documentation to the highest standard and maintain standards of confidentiality.
- Support the culture of a high performance, autonomous team. Represent Alberta Ballet Company through actions and behaviours.
- Independently participate in continual professional development; maintain an awareness of developments within the area of sports/exercise/dance medicine and rehabilitation.
- Other duties as consistent with this Job Description or as directed by the Artistic Faculty.
Qualifications & Experience:
- Professional qualifications and eligibility for registration with Physiotherapy Alberta in good standing.
- People and project management skills; portfolio of examples to demonstrate competency.
- Sport/Dance experience. Experience working in elite sport as either a Physiotherapist or in another relevant capacity. A working knowledge of dance (ideally ballet).
- An understanding of applied sport and rehabilitation science, as well as experience delivering strength and conditioning programs in a variety of settings.
- Successful candidates are required to complete a police background and vulnerable sector check as a condition of employment.
- Proven ability to plan and manage work efficiently, effectively, and independently.
- Keen attention to detail.
- Effective communication, as well as interpersonal and motivation skills.
- Respect for confidentiality and appropriate clinical practice.
- Commitment to maintaining own professional development.
- Position is required to work daytime, evening, and/or weekend hours, as per performance schedule.
- Position requires candidate to travel between school and company location a minimum of once a day (approx. 1.7 km).
- Flexibility of personal commitments to cope with travel and touring.
- Required to follow COVID-19 screening and in-studio protocols, as per company policy.
Please submit your application, including cover letter and resume, through our careers portal: https://www.albertaballet.com/careers
Alberta Ballet is committed to an inclusive workplace culture. This includes valuing diversity in our workforce, providing a safe work environment, and fostering a culture of belonging. We believe a workplace with equal opportunity employment fosters creativity and strengthens connections to the communities we serve.